Friday 11 March 2011

The plan

When given an very open brief from college to produce ten images which show my strengths I decided quite quickly on my subject matter: author portraits.

It's fairly well known that the majority of authors are represented, both on book covers and on the internet, by photographs which do not show them at their best. This is largely due to the traditional poses used, which only work well on a few subjects. What I wanted was to break down the traditions and produce a series of images which more than anything were flattering. Location and pose can make an enormous difference to a photograph, so I believe they should be tailored to the person and not predetermined.

As Edinburgh has a flourishing literary scene that ranges from up and coming poets to world famous authors it seemed reasonable to make contact with a number of these writers and attempt to show the diversity in genre and personality amongst them.

No comments:

Post a Comment